We Second The Importance Of Vacations!
Recently, I came across an article in the Dispatch-Argus by Daniel E. Lee, Humanities Professor at Augustana College. In his article, entitled Don’t Discount the Importance of Vacations, he noted that when we don’t take time to travel, we are missing opportunities to broaden our horizons and gain a new or renewed understanding of other cultures and ways of life.
We all see travel memes on Facebook and Instagram – my personal favorite: My doctor says I need more Vitamin Sea. For me, there’s nothing better than listening to the rolling waves and smelling brisk sea air. Folks walk and jog while kids collect shells and build sand creations.
We all need to recharge our batteries! When you find a place that you love to visit, you begin to crave that time away. For my family, it’s the Gulf Coast of Florida. We’ve stayed on Clearwater Beach (CWB), Sand Key, and Indian Rocks Beach, which is our new favorite. We seek new restaurants, stop at the “fish & crab” restaurant, and visit local spots. Once, we discovered a diner across the street from our beachside hotel which was filled with spring-breakers and a 20 to 30 minute wait for breakfast. The diner offered made-to-order breakfasts with all of the sides for about $7.00. You can bet we ate there every morning!
In honor of my favorite area, here are my Top 5 Attractions in the Florida Gulf Coast:
- Clearwater Marine Aquarium: See Winter the Dolphin and other marine life.
- Eco-Pontoon Cruise, run by the aquarium: The boat drags a net and you can see and touch sea urchins and jellies, with some time carved out for shelling on a sand bar.
- Cap’t Memo’s Pirate Cruise: If you have kids, take the midday kids’ cruise. It’s a hoot!
- Crabby Bill’s Seafood: Various locations, but completely rebuilt in CWB!
- Sunsets on the beach: People gather and clap as the sun sinks from view.
Tell us what you like to see and do at YOUR favorite family destinations! Please, visit the QCFF Travel page at www.Facebook.com/QCFFTravel and add to the discussion with vacation photos, window seat pics (pics taken out the plane window), and feedback about your favorite restaurants, activities, and more.
The Quad City International Airport may be found at qcairport.com, and also on Facebook, Twitter @qcairport, and Instagram.