Dublin Coddle (Irish Stew) Recipe
Dublin Coddle (Irish Stew)
Servings: 8 persons
Calories: 526 kcal
Author: Linda Ooi
½ lb (225g) bacon strips
1 lb (450g) pork sausages
2 onions sliced
12 oz (340g) leeks sliced
2 cloves garlic minced
½ tsp dried thyme
¼ cup chopped parsley
2 leaves bay
1½ lbs (675g) potatoes cut into chunks
3 cups ham or chicken stock
Salt to taste
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven until just starting to crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels. Slice half lengthwise and then halved crosswise. Set aside. Reserve bacon fat in a bowl.
- In the same Dutch oven cook sausages until evenly brown, adding a little bacon fat if necessary. Remove and slice lengthwise then halved crosswise. Set aside.
- Add a tablespoon of reserved bacon fat back to Dutch oven. Cook onions for 2 to 3 minutes until soft but not brown.
- Layer onions, sausages, and bacon at the bottom of the Dutch oven. Season with lots of pepper
- Add leeks, garlic, thyme, parsley, and top with a layer of potatoes. Season with more pepper and salt to taste.
- Pour in the stock. Cover and bring stock to a boil.
- Transfer to a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for 35 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Serve with chunks of soda bread.